What is Autosomal Recessive?

In Autosomal Recessive inheritance, the parent must carry both changed genes to be affected. A person who has one working gene and one non-working (changed) gene is said to be a gene carrier. When two people who carry the same recessive gene in common have children, there is a 25% chance that the child will have two working genes and be unaffected, a 50% chance that the child will be a gene carrier like his/her parents and a 25% chance that the child will carry both recessive genes and be affected. These percentage risks apply to each pregnancy. Types of EDS which are inherited as autosomal recessive are the Kyphoscoliosis Type and the Dermatosparaxis Type, but are uncommonly seen types of EDS.

More information about Autosomal Recessive at medterms.com.

Creating Knowledge
Building Community
Promoting Change